Thursday, January 12, 2006

Why I changed the name

I changed the name for this blog because I realized that what I really needed to do is blog therapy, to get all the frustrations and animosity out of my system that builds up when you work for the poster organization for the Peter Principle.
I've been working for the Defense Language Institute English Language Center for over 10 years now. Most of the time, it's a great place to teach, especially when I get sent overseas. I've taught in Latvia, Taiwan, Japan, and Iraq. I don't know why, but teachers at DLIELC aren't respected. They are the bottom of the food chain. But when we go overseas, we are honored, treated with respect, given the academic freedom to do our jobs to the best of our abilities. It's wonderful and we also get the opportunity for international travel. We are also paid above the going rate for teaching English as a Second Language (ESL).
This week I've been teaching a military module to familiarize students with Explosive Ordnance Disposal vocabulary and procedures. I have 5 students: 2 from Oman, 2 from Poland, and one from Lithuania. The three European students will be going to Navy SEAL training in San Diego. The Omanis are going straight home when their English training is over. It's a good class and they are a great example of why I say that I will always enjoy working at DLI because when I close my door, it's just me and the best students in the world.
Having said that, I do find myself angry a lot, and I'll probably sound more negative here than I really feel, since I want to use this spot to rant, to let out frustrations. I'll do my best to balance that by talking about daily triumphs, too.
I think this will help me continue this blog longer than I usually do, because it has intrinsic value - I don't NEED anyone else to read it and react, but if they do, that will be fine, too.
Enough for today.

No comments: