Monday, January 16, 2006

Shoulda

I'm active in the peace movement, so I shoulda marched on Martin Luther King Day. I didn't, though. I stayed home during the day and helped my wife get her art ready for an art auction for abandoned animals. Then later, we went to see the new "Pride and Prejudice." Vera is a Jane Austen fanatic. If there were a PhD in Jane Austen studies, my wife would qualify. Her standards are high. Added to that is the reverence we both have for the A&E version of the novel. So going to this movie was a great risk. We went as skeptics, but WE LOVED IT! We had a great time from beginning to end. The daughters were more vivacious, the story was more about Lizzie and less about Jane, but all in all it was true to Austen and a joyful movie to watch. It let me run away from the world for a while, so I appreciated it from that standpoint.
Tomorrow I go to training for Oral Proficiency Interviews (OPI). These are the wonderful tests we give to make sure students have true practical skills in English, rather than just being able to pass a test. I don't like doing them. It's more work for the same pay, first of all. I also don't believe in the process 100%. And the tests are way too much like interrogations. BUT I have to do it. There aren't enough people who pass the course to get certified, so those of us who do are expected to pull our weight. See, I was overseas for so long, I require refresher training in order to be recertified. So that's my week. The trainer and I don't always get along, either. I won't comment on why - personal, very superficial reasons, to tell the truth. I should be a better person. But hey, I am human after all.
Well, I'm tired and do have to work tomorrow. Hope it's a good week.

No comments: