Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Practice interrogations

OK, so we spent a day practicing the Oral Proficiency Interviews. "Candidates" from Afghanistan, Turkey, El Salvador, and Yemen, which is a pretty interesting group. They all did much better than we did. It's been over 6 years since I did an OPI, so I klutzed around, knowing all the while that my clumsiness made the process that much worse for the student. BUT...we did get a ratable language sample from all of them, and the only one who complained was the one I didn't personally interview.
My fellow students irritated me for a good part of the day. One of them said she "just wasn't into it," so I had to do most of the first interview on my own (two interviewers work together). The other student decided he was the teacher, so a lot of time when we weren't interviewing, we were listening to his bogus lectures. I did get better as the day wore on and I do feel more comfortable, so tomorrow should be better. We'll probably be doing higher level candidates, though. More interesting, but also more complicated and more time consuming. I've done 3 interviews - only 4 more to go.

No comments: