Sunday, July 26, 2015

I know stuff you don't know.

There is a universal human truth. Every human being can say, "I know stuff you don't know. I believe stuff you don't believe." Yes, we would have many overlapping bits of knowledge and beliefs that we could agree on, but it's the differences that create the problems.
Notice, I've made two categories. When I say I know stuff, or you do, these are things that we come across and are informed about. Yep, sometimes that information is false; if it's "just" knowledge, well, if we get new information or facts, that replaces the old data set pretty smoothly. Of course, we always like to believe we're right, so sometimes we hold onto our old "facts" pretty tightly, even when we're given irrefutable proof to the contrary.
Then there's that stuff we believe. Most religions require you to believe their myth to the exclusion of all others. They have to believe they are RIGHT and everyone else is WRONG, else there's no compelling reason to join their sect. Well, my position is this: believe what you want. Really. Just don't try to scare me or guilt me into accepting your myth. You have nothing to offer me. I gain nothing by accepting your myth. I lose nothing by walking away. Oh, I know you believe I'll lose a lot or gain a lot, but that's your belief, not mine.
I do think every single person knows something I don't know. That's the essence of the value of every human life. There's a value or insight or skill that the rest of us benefit from if we let that person become who they were meant to be. I happen to believe we have a better chance of doing that if we don't let outside individuals or belief systems limit us.
In the end, you don't have to believe what I believe. And...I don't have to believe what you believe. Let's live by that.

No comments: