Sunday, July 19, 2015

Blobs of protoplasm

Taken down to our most basic level, we are no more than blobs of protoplasm attempting to prolong our own metabolism as long as possible. Our evolution let us develop a sense of future and of connectedness that apparently have a survival value. Interesting that these complex relationships we're capable of compel us, sometimes, to do our best to influence, for better or worse, the metabolism of other blobs of protoplasm. To me, those relationships are good on a personal level. It's important to me that my wife and sons maintain their metabolism in fairly comfortable circumstances, both now and after I'm gone. I've come to the conclusion that elaborate belief systems, including religions and governments, unnecessarily complicate and widen those relationships. This is essentially what libertarians believe about government. Smaller government disengages from influencing the metabolic success or failure of subject blobs. Republicans and Democrats basically just differ on which blobs should be given better circumstances and which ones shouldn't. I engage in the political process because I have another odd survival mechanism our species developed: a sense of right and wrong.
So I'll keep trying to create positive circumstances for my circle of influence, as Stephen Covey puts it. This may seem a funny way to look at this, but it helps me in one way. I understand the motivation behind helping others continue a positive existence. And I don't understand the motivation behind making it harder for others. That simply cannot have a positive effect on my circle of influence. It just makes life harder for others.
My little brother, Buddy, gave me a life lesson this week. Gerald and I stopped by to see him in Pasadena. We sat and talked for about an hour. I make more than 3 times as much money as he does. He and his extended family live in considerably reduced circumstances. But they seem happy. For them, life is good. As Gerry and I were leaving, Buddy watched me get into my shiny new Prius and then stopped me, looked me in the eye, and said, "Robert, if you or your family ever need anything, you just let me know."
I am not worthy.

No comments: