Sunday, August 02, 2015

Are you getting what you want from life?

That's what I've been thinking about the last couple of days. It's a less complicated question to answer than "Are you happy?" I have to say my own answer to that question is pretty positive. I own my home, we have two nice, environmentally friendly cars, I am happily married and have three sons. I think I can say my wife and sons are, for the most part, getting what they want from life. I make enough money to pay bills, buy a few luxuries (cable TV, smart phones, big screen TV, easy chair, at least one trip per year and two vacations a year). I also have a job I love, one that challenges me and lets me be creative. I've also managed to build a decent retirement that I'll start enjoying in three years. Oh, and although I'm a pretty severe introvert, I do have some good friends around me. I'm not bragging, though. I think it's important to assess our existence from time to time. If I use this measurement, I have to admit that my sister and most of my brothers are also getting what they want out of life. I feel good about that. NOW...if all of that is true, what are my responsibilities to the rest of the human race? Honestly, I don't want to stand in anyone's way. Let them get what they want out of life, too. That's a pretty basic reason for my being pro-choice and for marriage equality. If I do things that hinder people in either of those categories, I'm blocking them unnecessarily. I won't do it. But leaving people alone isn't really enough. I want to help others have a better chance to get what they want out of life. I have only one charity I give money to, but it helps children in hard circumstances have a safe place to live and develop until they finish high school. And I vote Democrat. If I have to pay more in taxes so we can raise the minimum wage or provide health care or train veterans for jobs or help disadvantaged kids go to college, I'm good with that. I want to see that happen. Finally, what about you? Are you getting what you want out of life? Why not? And if you're not, what are you doing to change that? I hope you can come up with some good answers. Life is good.

No comments: