Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Day

I've worked my whole life, it seems, to define myself spiritually. I'm pretty happy with where I am, so here goes. My first belief is that there is a God. Second, there are many paths to God. Third, Christ is my path to God. It's that simple, but those three beliefs still create conflict with others. So many Christians point out that Christ is the ONLY path to God. I just don't accept that. I refuse to believe that Jesus or God would condemn to hell all human beings who hadn't accepted Christ as their personal saviour. I fully expect to see Mormans, Muslims, Buddhists, and, yes, atheists in heaven. That's not my main religious conflict these days. I get so angry when "Christian" leaders tell me directly or imply how I should vote. I don't like abortion. I think it's a horrible choice for a woman to make, on so many different levels. But as long as we have a society so stacked against a woman who chooses to have a child under difficult circumstances, I will not support groups who take that choice away from women. And almost universally, these "Christian" leaders want me to vote for a pro-war, pro-greed Republican politician. I will not. I want a more competent, kinder government, and I will vote for that. We have ample evidence now that the most evangelical, "Jesusy" candidate isn't necessarily the best person to lead the country. There are results to my beliefs. First, I will give to no church or charity affiliated with a religious organization until ALL churches get out of politics. It has saved me quite a bit of money.
Megachurches horrify me. If the whip-swinging, angry Jesus were here, he would drive people out of these corporate organizations more dedicated to power and wealth than Christian principles. This I believe. There is a new group of Christians who do "home church." They go from one person's house to another for Sunday services. This strikes me as a return to basic, personal Christianity as practiced and encouraged by Christ himself.
So how do I feel this Christmas Day? I feel a need to rededicate myself to Christian principles. I will absolutely say a prayer for peace. I'll pray that people can heal this hatred that has been generated in our country. We need to find a way to care for each other and to help each other have a better life. And I will pray for faith and hope that this can happen.

No comments: