Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Anti-War Speech at UT Pan Am

So I've been invited to speak at University of Texas - Pan America as a representative of Veterans for Peace and Military Families Speak Out. It's not the first time I've done this. While I was in Japan, I spoke twice in Tokyo and once each in Nagoya, Hiroshima, and Osaka. The last time was at a huge peace rally in Tokyo - my audience was 20,000! If it hadn't been raining so hard, we would have had over 100,000. This is only my third time to speak in Texas. I participated in a panel discussion at UT San Antonio. That was pretty good. Then on Memorial Day here in San Antonio, I gave a short speech, "No one wins a war," at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial downtown.
I've worked hard to prepare for this. I've read several books, learned a little more about the Rio Grande Valley and the UT Pan Am campus. I refreshed my memory on the intelligence community (they want me to talk about that, too).
The thing I had to think about most is what they might want to hear and what I want to tell them. They aren't necessarily the same thing. Still, I'll have a sympathetic audience - we all want this war to end.
I'm also going to speak only from an outline instead of from a prepared text. That's a departure for me, but a necessary one. I need to be more professional in my speaking skills. Up till now, I've simply written powerful messages, then read them to my audience. Not any more.
Well, I have a little more research to do. Wish me luck!

No comments: