Tuesday, November 01, 2005

My Issues

I just got back from 90 days of teaching English in Iraq. I'm against the war, but just had to go see for myself what was going on there. I came back even more committed to getting us out of there. I'm going to Austin to connect with the Texas Veterans for Peace group, as well as a group actively trying to counter military recruiting on high school campuses. I am also going to campaign for John Courage for Congress in Texas congressional district 21. That's not my district, but John is a man I know, I've worked with, and I admire and respect him. I know he will be a unique person in Washington - an honest politician. There are not many people I believe in, but I believe in John. He's a vet and a retired school teacher and a person who is dedicated to making life better for all of us. I'm also working on a conscientious objector website. It's a selfish cause - I have three sons who would be subject to a draft if it were ever brought back. This is my proactive response - research what legally constitutes a conscientious objector, then officially recognize and register young men and women who believe they should be protected from the draft on moral and religious grounds. And somehow, I'm going to keep teaching English as a second language full time, too.

No comments: